Dame of Mighty Mountain
Nope, not a damsel in distress
Nor a showpiece on your shelf
I will slay, no.. ride the Dragon
I will find a way to rescue myself
At the crack of dawn, I’ll lace up
And head up the mountain path
The sun in my eyes, shall not deny
The dream of peak-ing I hath
I don’t want no princes
Fight me no wars
I am complete, by myself,
I’ll dry my own tears
Do you need me to save you?
Do you need me to love you?
Well, maybe if you are worthy
I shall rescue you too.
This is my first humble attempt at a BALLAD. A Ballad is usually arranged in quatrains (lines of 4) and follows the rhyming scheme ABCB. (i.e the second and fourth line of each quatrain rhymes). A ballad also usually tells a story. (oops, mine doesn’t).
Inspiration: Mighty Girls
Did you know? According to a study by a psychologist at the University of Illinois, girls as young as six don’t think they are as smart as boys!
In this post, I was lamenting how I never grew up with female ‘Superheroes’ and how I cried when I watched ‘Wonder Woman’. I guess we need to be our own heroes, our own Dames of Mighty Mountains. But, having some role models growing up can sure help our little girls bloom into self-reliant, self-assured humans of tomorrow. So, today I would like to point you towards two resources.
- A website for Mighty Girls: they have a huge(like really huge!) collection of unique books and stories of remarkable girls and women. Where were all these books when I was growing up?
- This book: Goodnight Stories for Rebel Girls which has 100 stories about real-life “kick-ass” women illustrated by female artists the world over. Get it below:
For each letter this April, I shall be presenting a poem inspired by ‘something’ that is making our world a little bit kinder, a little bit greener. The ‘something’ is a mix of people, movements, thoughts, or organizations who are having a positive influence on the world around us. Read all the posts in ‘Poetry For A Cause’ series by clicking on the button below.
“CHANGE BEGINS WITH AWARENESS”
1. If you are inspired by this cause, feel free to use this as a prompt for your poetry or your writing. Doers DO, writers WRITE.
2. Do share your post for the current A-Z letter in the comments below and I shall be happy to visit your post. I don’t mind links. It’s easier to find you.
3. Thank you for all the love you have shown for this series until now. We have a long way to go and I hope I can keep it up!
Note: This post contains affiliate links to the Amazon Affiliate programme. What that means is that if you buy an item on the site through this link, I will get a referral fee, at no additional cost to you. If you do buy through these links, I thank you for your support.